Second Lieutenant Edward Kingham Myles V.C. D.S.O.

2nd Lieutenant Edward Myles V.C. D.S.O.

2nd Lieutenant Edward Myles V.C. D.S.O.

Edward Kingham Myles was born at Wanstead, Essex on the 29th July 1894, and was educated locally. He started work for the Port of London Authority before joining the 9th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment at the start of the war. His ability to work hard and his attention to duty attracted the attention of his Colonel and he was granted temporary Commission in the Regiment in November 1914.

During the early years of the war Myles saw service in Gallipoli and Mesopotamia and it was during this campaign that he was to win the Victoria Cross.

On the night of 9th April 1916 at Sannaiyat following a night attack and enemy counter-attack, many dead and wounded lay between the lines. Several brave attempts were made to help the wounded and Lieutenant Myles dashed out a number of times to bring in wounded men, staggering in with the last, having been hit himself.

His Citation reads:
“For most conspicuous bravery. He went out alone on several occasions in front of our advance trenches and under heavy fire, and at great personal risk assisted wounded men lying in the open. On one occasion he carried a wounded officer under circumstances of great danger.”
London Gazette, 26th September 1916

In early 1917 he again showed great bravery and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. An interesting point about his DSO award is that he was originally advised by General Maude that it was his intention to recommend him for a second VC. However it appears, that the General has second thoughts and did not wish to create a precedent, believing as he did that no second VC awards had previously been made. Myles was also mentioned twice in dispatches.

After the war he was employed in the Intelligence department of the Government until his retirement from the Army in 1928. After leaving he joined the Regular Army Reserve of Officers (King’s Regiment) until 1945 when he exceeded the age limit of recal.

During this time Myles joined the Head of Gaumont British News Reel Productions as an assistant producer and technical advisor working on short films illustrating “The Cockney Spirit of War”. In 1934 he became a Cinema Manager in Bristol and in 1938 became an Air Raid Precaution Assistant for the duration of the war.

 He died on 1st February 1977 at the age of 82 in Bishops Leighton, Devon at the country home of the Officers’ Association.