With the help of a sharp eyed Museum supporter we have been able to reunite the medals of 2345 Private John Fudge of the 29th Regiment of Foot.
On the 29th January 2021, the Museum received an email from a member of the public informing us that he had spotted a Punjab Medal, with clasps for Goojerat and Chilianwala, awarded to John Fudge for sale on a website. Our informant was aware that the Museum already held some of John Fudge medals (Indian Mutiny and Long Service and Good Conduct medals) as these were on display. Were we interested? We immediately contacted the dealer and the medal was purchased on the 2nd February.
Fudge, who enlisted on 27th September 1844, at the age of 19. He served in the Punjab, during the Sikh Wars, and then in the Indian Mutiny. In all he spent 14 years in India. He was discharged on 17th October 1865 having completed 21 years service. His Long Service and Good Conduct medals, which you can see in the case, came with a £5 gratuity, surely a welcome gift to augment his soldier’s pension.
Fudge was only one of 129 officers and men of the 29th Regiment who served in both the Punjab campaign and the mutiny.
Fudge’s medals will need remounting but when the Worcestershire Soldier Gallery reopens on the 17th May, they will be reunited and go on display to the public.
Battle of Sobraon was fought on the 10th February 1846. It was the fourth, last, and decisive battle of the First Sikh War (1845–46). The Sikh army was entrenched at Sobraon on the eastern British-held bank of the Sutlej River, their retreat secured by a bridge of boats.
General Sir Hugh Gough having decided to attack the Sikh positions, his troops marched out from their encampment just before dawn with that object. Brigadier Taylor ‘s Brigade including the HM 29th Regiment moved to its position at Chota Sobraon. A thick haze covered the initial British deployment, but as day dawned the Sikhs opened a sharp cannonade.
General Gilbert’s 2nd Division which contained the 3rd Brigade composed of the 41st and 68th Bengal Native infantry and HM 29th Regiment, took up its position at the centre of the British line.
At 0.700 hrs an artillery duel, which lasted for about two hours began on both sides. At approximately 09.00 hrs, General Dick’s division on the British left was ordered to attack the Sikh right flank. This made little headway and General Gough ordered a general assault. At about 10.00 hrs the 1st and 2nd Divisions received their orders to storm the works to their front. Moving out of a ravine Taylors’s brigade advanced in line a distance of three-quarters of a mile exposed to heavy fire from a battery of 13 guns the whole time.
In the charge the 29th outstripped the native infantry and as a result fought alone for some considerable time and were forced to retire to the ravine. The Regiment made a second assault which was again repulsed. Finally charging a third time it entered the entrenchments and captured the battery.
The defences being breached in all directions the Sikh forces retired towards a bridge of boats and the ford across the Sutlej River. In the retreat the bridge collapsed and the remnants of the Sikh army fled across the ford, where they were subjected to fire by all three divisions and the British artillery.
Brigadier Taylor was mortally wounded in the final assault. The 29th Regiment had started the day with 23 officers and 513 Rank and File. It suffered the following casualties one officer and 36 Rank and file killed. 14, Officers and 136 Rank and File wounded.
A monument in the memory of the officers and men of the 29th Regiment who fell in the Sutlej campaign was afterwards placed by their surviving comrades in Worcester Cathedral.
The 1845-46 Sikh War (The First Sikh War) was a difficult one, as the Sikh army was well-trained and well-armed. As a result, British Casualties were heavy. The campaign was short and concentrated, lasting only three months and was restricted to the Punjab in the North West of India. The Battle of Ferozeshah was the second battle of the campaign and is characterised by General Gough’s rash and disorganised assault on the entrenched Sikh camp at Ferozeshah.
Following the Battle of Moodkee on 18th December 1845, Lal Singh’s force of Sikhs withdrew to Ferozeshah, eight miles to the North-West of the Moodkee battlefield, occupying strong fortified positions around the village.
While his British and Bengali troops dealt with the casualties of Moodkee, General Gough sent instructions to General Littler, commanding the garrison in Ferozepore, to march out of the town, evading the blockading force of Tej Singh, and join him before Ferozeshah on 21st December 1845 for the second battle with Lal Singh’s force.
On the day after Moodkee, reinforcements marched in from Ludhiana: HM 29th Foot, 1st Bengal Europeans and two regiments of Bengal Native Infantry with two howitzers. The 29th were assigned to the Second Division: under Major General Sir Walter Gilbert and placed in the Third Brigade under Brigadier Taylor (their former Commanding Officer along with the HM 80th Foot and 41st Bengal Native Infantry (BNI). The Fourth Brigade commanded by Brigadier McClaren consisting of the 1st Bengal Europeans, 16th BNI and 45th BNI.
Gough’s army was in place in the morning of the 21st waiting for Littler. Gough decided to launch his attack without Littler’s men, but General Sir Henry Hardinge used his authority as Governor General to veto an attack until the Ferozepore garrison arrived.
It was early afternoon when Littler arrived with 2 Bengal Light Cavalry regiments, HM 62nd Foot, 5 Bengal Native Infantry battalions, 2 troops of horse artillery and 2 field batteries at 1.30pm, increasing Gough’s army to 18,000 troops and 65 guns. Littler’s division took up position on the extreme left of the line with his cavalry regiments in support.
At 3 pm, with only two hours of daylight left, Gough opened the battle with an artillery bombardment, which the Sikh answered vigorously. As in most of the early battles of the war the Sikh artillery had the best of the exchange.
The fortifications around Ferozeshah comprised a series of trenches on a line of hillocks surrounding the village in a rectangle. The Sikh gunners manned some 100 good quality guns that they served with skill and devotion. It is not known how many Sikhs were present in Ferozeshah, but they appear to have constituted a powerful force.
At around 3.30pm Littler began an assault well in advance of the rest of the army, moving his guns forward to engage the Sikhs at closer range, his infantry regiments following in support. The infantry emerged into the open plain 300 metres from the Sikh line and were met with a heavy fire of grapeshot from the guns (fragmented shot used on troops at close range to cause maximum casualties). HM 62nd Foot led the assault, losing 160 casualties in ten minutes. The regiment faltered and fell back, taking the native infantry regiments with them. Littler’s attack had failed.
As Littler began his attack Gough ordered the rest of the British and Bengali line to assault the Sikh lines. The regiments pushed through the jungle under heavy artillery fire, emerging into the dense smoke and dust of the open plain, lit by the flashes of the Sikh gunfire. Part of the left of the line faltered under the heavy fire, but HM 9th Foot and the right hand (Gibert’s)division pressed on with the attack, while a brigade from the reserve commanded by General Smith moved forward to cover the gap left by the retreat of Littler’s brigade.
The 29th advanced in quick time, file firing as it approached the entrenched positions, all the while suffering from well-directed discharges of shell, grape shot and musketry. The attacking troops reached the Sikh entrenchments and pressed through, although suffering heavy casualties, and captured and spiked numbers of guns, before pushing on into the Sikh camp.
Here a large magazine exploded causing considerable confusion and casualties. All over the Sikh camp tents were ablaze; stores of gunpowder exploding in the gathering dusk.
On the right of the British line Gough committed Brigadier White’s cavalry brigade; HM 3rd King’s Own Light Dragoons, 4th Bengal Light Cavalry (Lancers) and the 9th Bengal Irregular Cavalry, to an attack on the corner of the fortifications. Considerably reduced by their casualties at Moodkee, the 3rd charged through a battery and the infantry positioned behind it, before breaking into the Sikh camp and engaging in ferocious hand to hand combat with crowds of swordsmen and matchlock men.
General Smith, after fighting through the Sikh camp, found himself with a party of soldiers from his division on the far side of Ferozeshah, where he was attacked throughout the night by the Sikhs. He finally fought his way around the outside of the village to the south side where he rejoined Gough and Hardinge as dawn broke.
The fall of night forced the British and Bengali regiments to withdraw from Ferozeshah, abandoning the Sikh camp and fortifications, to pass the night as best they could among the casualties of the day’s fighting, under the renewed fire of the Sikh guns.
Gough and Hardinge spent the night in considerable anxiety, Hardinge making hasty arrangements to destroy the state papers to prevent them from falling into Sikh hands in the event of a British defeat.
With dawn the drums and trumpets signaled a renewed attack on the fortifications, but the Sikhs were falling back and Gough’s army quickly re-took Ferozeshah.
Battered and exhausted the British and Bengali regiments ceased fighting, cheering Gough and Hardinge as they rode down the ranks, troopers carrying captured Khalsa flags.
But the battle was not finished. To the stupefaction of Gough’s men, onto the field marched the army of Tej Singh, the force that Littler had evaded in the previous days to escape from Ferozepore. The British and Bengali troops were exhausted, their ammunition almost entirely expended. Gough occupied the Sikh fortifications, while a horse artillery battery engaged the Sikhs to keep them away for as long as possible. Then the line stood waiting for the Sikh attack, hardly expecting to be able to resist a determined assault.
Tej Singh’s artillery conducted a long and galling bombardment of Gough’s line, followed by an advance by his cavalry against Gough’s right. Gough ordered Brigadier White to attack the Sikhs and in one last effort HM 3rd Light Dragoons, 4th Bengal Light Cavalry and 9th Bengal Irregular Cavalry urged their blown horses into the charge, causing Tej Singh to abandon his assault and withdraw from the battle field.
A curious incident had occurred at the beginning of the day’s crisis, when the assistant adjutant-general, Captain Lumley, suffering it is thought from the sun and the stress of battle, approached various regiments in turn and ordered them to march to Ferozepore, with the result that at the worst moment of the hard fought two day battle a significant portion of Gough’s army left the field. It may be that the sight of those forces marching away towards Ferozepore contributed to Tej Singh abandoning his attack and leaving the field.
The battle ended at around 4pm on 22nd December 1845, Gough and his army, now virtually without ammunition, reprieved from an attack that would have been hard to resist.
Casualties: The casualties in the British and Bengali regiments were some 700 dead and 1,700 wounded, of which 1,207 were European, including 115 officers. Among the dead were several staff officers, including Major Broadfoot and Brigadier Taylor (Lt. Col. HM 29th Regiment)
Before the action at Ferozeshah on the 21st December 1845, the effective strength of the 29th Foot (Worcestershire Regiment) was 28 Officers and 765 other ranks. After the first battle at Ferozeshah the battalion suffered 2 officers and 52 other ranks killed in action and 196 wounded, a further 38 men died of their wounds.
With the generous assistance of the The ACE/V&A Purchase Grant Fund and the Friends of the Mercian Regiment Museum we have recently acquired a group of three medals awarded to Major. Frederick Kneebone of the 29th Foot. These comprise medals awarded for his service in India and consist of the Sutlej medal 1845-6 for Sobraon (ensign), the Punjab medal 1848-9 with clasps Chilianwala and Goojerat, ( Lieutenant) and finally the Indian Mutiny Medal 1857-9, No clasp (Captain)
Groups of three consecutive Indian Campaign Medals issued to members of the 29th Foot are very scarce, and Frederick Kneebone’s is unique as he is the only 29th Foot officer so awarded: just thirty 29th Foot Other Ranks qualified for and received the group.
Frederick Kneebone’s father was Quartermaster Thomas Kneebone 29th Foot. They both fought at the Battle of Sobraon (10 February 1846); the father’s portrait and Sutlej Medal for Sobraon are on display in the Museum. Thomas died 20 months later in Calcutta and qualified for no other medals. It is extremely rare, if not unknown, to have a father and son both being awarded the same medal for service of the same battlefield. Therefore Frederick’s medal group is of especial interest to the Museum.
Frederick Kneebone had joined 29th Foot in India in time to take part in the Battle of Sobraon, and then was present for both Punjab Medal battle clasps (CHILIANWALA AND GOOJERAT) available to 29th Foot. Indian Mutiny Medals issued to the 29th Foot are always without clasp and are scarce; only 11 officers qualified and the only other extant officer medal known is in the Museum. Kneebone retired from the army as a Major in 1870 and lived in Bedfordshire; for many years he was Secretary of the Bedford General Infirmary. In addition the Museum holds all four commissions of Frederick Kneebone plus a portrait photograph.
Fought during the Second Anglo-Sikh War, in the region of Punjab, now
part of Pakistan. Although the battle may be considered a draw, it was a
strategic check to Britain, and damaged British prestige in India.
When war broke out in the Punjab, which had recently lost much of its
independence to the British East India Company following the First Anglo-Sikh
War, in April 1848, the East India Company’s Commissioner for the Punjab,
Frederick Currie, sent several forces of locally raised troops to help quell the
revolt. The force led by Sher Singh Attariwalla also revolted and moved north
to join his father, Chattar Singh Attariwalla in Hazara.
The East India Company ordered the formation of an Army of the Punjab
under the veteran Commander in Chief, Sir Hugh Gough. On 18th November news
arrived of the crossing of the Chenab by an army under Shere Singh. Gough
dispatched a column up stream, which crossed, and marched down the enemy flank.
The 29th Foot, having taken up a position with a battery on the British right,
opened fire on the Sikhs to distract their attention from the outflanking
troops, but the Sikh general was too wise to be caught and, breaking camp,
retired to the north.
Shere Singh was now joined by Chattar Singh’s army bringing his strength
to 30,000 against Gough’s 13,000. When the British closed Gough was, therefore,
fairly cautious. The enemy were in positions at Chillianwallah stretching some
six miles from the low hill at Rasul to Mung on the right. The country in front
was mostly thick scrub and movement was difficult, but on the Sikh left in
front of Rasul the approaches were fairly open. At 0700 hours on 13th January
1849 Gough advanced with the intention of forcing the enemy left flank, which
task was given to Gilbert’s division. Mountain’s brigade with the 29th of Foot
was on the right and on their left was Pennycuick’s brigade. Shere Singh,
perceiving the British intention, seized a small mound near Chillianwallah
causing Gough to alter the line of advance to the village. Nevertheless, he did
not intend to assault until the next day.
Singh was now joined by Chattar Singh’s army bringing his strength to 30,000
against Gough’s 13,000. When the British closed Gough was, therefore, fairly
cautious. The enemy were in positions at Chillianwallah stretching some six
miles from the low hill at Rasul to Mung on the right. The country in front was
mostly thick scrub and movement was difficult, but on the Sikh left in front of
Rasul the approaches were fairly open. At 0700 hours on 13th January 1849 Gough
advanced with the intention of forcing the enemy left flank, which task was
given to Gilbert’s division. Mountain’s brigade with the 29th of Foot was on
the right and on their left was Pennycuick’s brigade. Shere Singh, perceiving
the British intention, seized a small mound near Chillianwallah causing Gough
to alter the line of advance to the village. Nevertheless, he did not intend to
assault until the next day.
While the troops were piling their arms and
unsaddling the horses Lieutenant MacPherson, of the 24th of Foot, climbed a
tree and was appalled to see masses of turbans moving through the undergrowth.
Bugles were sounded and the British took up their positions for attack. Moving
up the guns Gough ordered the advance to commence at 0300 hours. As the advance
passed through the thick undergrowth, it was subjected to heavy fire from the
Sikh sharpshooters. This caused the orderly line to disintegrate into a series
of small groups that, when they debouched into the open, came under the enemy
artillery which poured grape into their ranks. The situation on the right was
retrieved by the action of General Colin Campbell with the 61st and in the
centre by Congreve who, seeing that the 29th were suffering from the fire of a
particularly dangerous Sikh gun, charged it himself. Then commenced a struggle
of the utmost ferocity. The Sikhs cast aside their matchlocks, and sword in
hand fought desperately until overwhelmed.
The battle was by no means over. Pennycuick’s
brigade had suffered heavily and the 29th were ordered to change front to cover
the gap that had occurred. Congreve, noticing that the enemy was attempting to
withdraw its guns, turned the 29th about and charged. Sikh cavalry were now
seen moving up but checked their pace within 200 yards of the 29th. Every
British firelock was brought up to the present and as they fired Sikhs dropped
from their saddles and horses rolled over. Another volley completed the
confusion and the survivors galloped away.
Reforming line the regiment continued to
advance; meeting some Sikh infantry who were engaging Pennycuick’s men they
charged. Six of the guns that had been supporting the Sikhs limbered up and got
away, but the seventh turned round and, taking a shot at the colours, succeeded
in clearing away every man around them. The gun was captured, however, and the
gunners bayoneted; the gallant 24th who had taken the brunt of this action was
saved further loss.
In this battle the centre of the Queen’s Colour
was shot out and its bearer, Ensign Smith, was twice hit by bullets. This battle was the last occasion on which the colours
of any battalion of the regiment were carried in action.
obelisk was subsequently erected in memory of the British who lost their lives
at Chillianwallah. Locally the battle goes by the name of ‘Katalgarh’, the
House of Slaughter.
A fine 1839 musket recently acquired for the Worcestershire Soldier Gallery
The Trustees of the Mercian Regiment Museum have recently acquired an British Pattern 1839, percussion smooth bore musket. It is 55 ½” long with a 39″ barrel marked with ordnance proof marks. The barrel is equipped with a standing foresight and a plain rear sight. It is equipped with a side action lock which is engraved with a Crown over VR (Victoria Regina) set over an Enfield stamp. The lock bears a crowned broad arrow Ordnance mark and is dated 1841. The lock is retained by 2 side nails with Lovell cups. The musket has a New Land pattern style full stock, with brass furniture including a plain brass fore-end cap for socket bayonet, three ramrod pipes retaining the original ramrod. The musket has two sling swivels, one mounted from trigger guard, the other above front ramrod tube.
The percussion lock of an 1839 pattern musket
It was with this pattern of musket that the 29th Regiment obtained its victories in the Sikh Wars. Although it is equipped with the most up to date percussion ignition system the musket’s smooth bore limited its accuracy and its effective range was between 50 to a hundred yards. The musket fired a lead ball of .75″ calibre (approximately 18mm).